Sacramento has just released the results from the nation’s oldest and most prestigious wine competition, and Southern California Temecula Valley’s South Coast Winery Resort & Spa has been named the 2016 California Golden State Winery of the Year.
Records were broken this year at the California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition as South Coast Winery was the first and only winery in the competition’s history to be presented with a four-time championship, naming it the 2016 California Golden State Winery of the Year. South Coast Winery brought home the first California State Winery of the Year award to its Southern California Temecula Valley home in 2008 and then followed it up with a back-to-back win in 2009. It earned the top title in the California State competition again in 2013 and now celebrates its fourth win for 2016.
Dating back to 1854, the California State Wine Competition premieres only wines made with fruit grown in California; and there were 2,854 wines judged from 750 of the state’s top wineries during this year’s competition.
“South Coast Winery is truly honored to be bringing this recognition to Temecula Valley Wine Country, especially with only 13 years of wine production. This award is a reflection of the dedication and the collaboration between our soil and vines, the vineyard team and our talented winemakers. I’m humbled to be a part of it,” states Jim Carter, the owner/vintner for the Southern California winery resort.
The top awards earned by South Coast in the 2016 competition include:
- Golden State Winery of the Year – South Coast Winery
- Double Gold 98-Best of State/Best of Region/Best of Class – 2015 South Coast Winery Sauvignon Blanc
- Double Gold 98-Best Sauvignon Blanc – 2015 South Coast Winery Winemaker Signature Collection Sauvignon Blanc
- Best of Class Region Double Gold 98 – 2015 South Coast Winery Cabernet Rosé
- Best of Class Region Gold 95 – 2015 South Coast Winery Verdelho
- Best of Class Region Gold 95-Best Varietal Rose – 2015 Tempranillo Rosé
- Best of Class Region Gold 95 – 2015 South Coast Winery Muscat Canelli
- Gold 95 – 2014 South Coast Winery Late Harvest Muscat of Alexandria
- Best of Class Region Silver 93 – 2014 South Coast Winery Mourvedre
- Silver 93 – NV South Coast Winery Ruby Cuveé
- Silver 91 – NV South Coast Winery Sparkling Gewurztraminer
- Silver 91 – NV South Coast Winery Sparkling Pinot Grigio
- Best of Class Silver 88 – 2013 South Coast Winery Zinfandel
- Best of Class Region Silver 88 — 2013 South Coast Winery Grenache
- Silver 88 – 2014 South Coast Winery Gewurztraminer
- Silver 88 – NV South Coast Winery Extra Dry Sparkling Wine
- Bronze 87 – NV South Coast Winery Brut Sparkling Wine
- Bronze 87 – 2012 South Coast Winery TNT (Touriga Nacional-Tempranillo)
- Bronze 87 – 2015 South Coast Winery Viognier
- Bronze 86 – 2012 South Coast Winery Boulder Red
- Bronze 86 – NV South Coast Winery Romanza
- Bronze 85 – 2012 South Coast Winery Big Red Sunshine
The winery intends commemorate its win throughout the month at its Southern California winery resort in Temecula California.South Coast Winery is located in Temecula Valley Southern California Wine Country, just 60 minutes from San Diego, Palm Springs and Orange County and only 90 minutes from Los Angeles. Temecula Valley includes over 40 award winning wineries and a historic Old Town foodie district, with an abundance of breathtaking panoramic views, outdoor adventures, and farm fresh dining. To plan a visit, please visit VisitTemeculaValley.com.
About South Coast Winery
South Coast Winery Resort & Spa produces five-star hospitality and a broad portfolio of premium wines. Over the course of the first twelve years of its production, the winery has received over 2500 awards and medals from both international and domestic wine competitions, including a four-time winner of the coveted California State Best of State distinction. The winery graces the grounds of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, a 39-acre destination property located in the heart of Southern California Temecula Valley Wine Country at 34843 Rancho California Road, Temecula, California. Details can be found online at www.southcoastwinery.com. For more information about this release, electronic photos or to schedule a private media tour of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, contact Crystal Magon at (951) 587-9463 Ext. 7204 or [email protected].