Scores of tastings, educational sessions and hospitality events draw top trade and journalists for ‘The Best Week in Napa Valley’
2/19/2018 – St. Helena, CA—More than 1,000 wine industry professionals will gather Saturday for the Napa Valley Vintners’ (NVV) 22nd annual Premiere Napa Valley, America’s original and most prestigious barrel tasting and auction for the wine trade. With scores of special tastings, education and hospitality events, the week leading up to Premiere Napa Valley is considered the most dynamic week of the year between the people who make Napa Valley wines and those who represent them to the world.
“Premiere Napa Valley is the most concentrated time for members of the trade to directly connect with Napa Valley’s vintners and their wines,” said Jeff Smith, founder and CEO of Hourglass and 2018 Premiere Napa Valley steering committee chair. “We find these connections especially meaningful after the outpouring of concern and support we received from these friends and partners during last fall’s wildfires.”
Produced by NVV-member winemakers in quantities as small as 60 and never more than 240 bottles, the Premiere Napa Valley portfolio showcases some of Napa Valley’s rarest and highest quality wines, created just one time, never to be replicated. Each bottle of Premiere Napa Valley wine is hand-labeled, individually-numbered and signed by the winemaker, creating additional cachet to the collectability of these distinctive wines.
Descriptions of the 218 rare wines which will be up for sale at this year’s auction, as well information about where to purchase Premiere Napa Valley wines from prior years, can be found at premierenapavalley.com.
Although the Premiere Napa Valley event at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone is sold out, licensed members of the trade can still pre-register to bid electronically on the 31 lots to be sold exclusively online from Friday, February 24 at 9 a.m. PST through Saturday, February 24 at noon PST. To register for the Premiere Napa Valley Online Auction, visit premierenapavalley.com/auctions or call the NVV at 707.963.3388.
Proceeds from the Premiere Napa Valley live and online auctions support the NVV’s efforts to promote, protect and enhance the Napa Valley.
Other programs and events that are part of what many in Napa Valley consider to be the best week of the year include:
- The Symposium for Professional Wine Writers at Meadowood Napa Valley, bringing more than 40 distinguished faculty, speakers and emerging wine writers from around the world together to network and hone their craft. Wine legend Steven Spurrier is the keynote speaker.
- Experience Napa Valley, multi-day, deep-dive educational immersions into Napa Valley, its wines and its winemakers. The NVV will be hosting groups of top trade and media for two different Experience Napa Valley events both before and after Premiere Napa Valley.
- The NVV’s Annual Membership Meeting, this year featuring lunch and conversation with hospitality icon Danny Meyer of Union Square Hospitality Group.
- The Vintage Perspective Tasting, a walk-around blind tasting that explores Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon from 15 different producers in verticals of the 2013, 2014 and 2015 vintages, as well as current release Sauvignon Blanc produced in a wide range of styles.
- Premiere Napa Valley Preview Events, throughout the week, vintners host trade and media guests for tastings of current release, library and their Premiere Napa Valley wines.
To join what promises to be an interesting social media conversation throughout the week, follow #PNV18.
About the Napa Valley Vintners
The Napa Valley Vintners nonprofit trade association has been cultivating excellence since 1944 by inspiring its 540 members to consistently produce wines of the highest quality, to provide environmental leadership and to care for the extraordinary place they call home. Learn more at napavintners.com.