- Nearly 200 Tre Bicchieri-awarded wineries will participate in the 2017 U.S. Tour
- Tre Bicchieri-awarded wines received the highest possible rating from a panel of 60-plus experts
- More than 40,000 wines are reviewed each year, with approximately 1 percent achieving Tre Bicchieri
- Gambero Rosso’s Italian Wines 2017 is the 30th edition of the iconic book, widely considered the world’s premier guide to Italian wines
February 7, 2017; (LOS ANGELES)—Wine industry professionals are invited to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the world’s premier guide to Italian wines with Gambero Rosso’s annual U.S. Tour, kicking off today in Chicago. This year, Gambero Rosso will bring its Tre Bicchieri tasting to four U.S. cities:
- 7 – Chicago Bridgeport Art Center, Skyline Loft
- 9 – New York City, Metropolitan Pavilion
- 13 – Los Angeles, Barker Hangar Santa Monica
- 11 – San Francisco, Fort Mason Center
Wine trade and press are invited to see event and registration details at GamberoRosso.us; the events are for industry professionals only. A list of winery participants is noted on the website for each event, with nearly 200 Italian wineries joining the New York City event.
In addition to the Grand Tasting, each event will feature special seminars:
- Gambero Rosso’s Vini d’Italia Special Awards seminar: Vini d’Italia editors Marco Sabellico and Lorenzo Ruggeri will spotlight this year’s Special Award winning wines, revealing the top rated wine in each of eight categories, such as Red Wine of the Year, Best Up-and-Coming Winery, and Winery of the Year.
- The world’s Top Italian Restaurants will be honored at the close of the special awards seminar, as featured in Gambero Rosso’s new digital guide.
- In Chicago and New York, the Special Awards seminar will be preceded by a special focus on the Custoza region.
- In Los Angeles, a special Olive Oil Master Class hosted by CNO, the National Olive Farmers Consortium, will take participants through a blind tasting comparing boutique olive oils with mass produced versions.
- In San Francisco and Los Angeles, the Falanghina del Sannio consortium will feature a special overview of its wines during the Grand Tasting; the wines will be served alongside Neopolitan-style pizza made onsite.
Seminar seats may be requested by emailing Chelsea Kurnick at [email protected].
Guida Vini d’Italia 30th Edition Celebration
This year’s tour celebrates the 30th edition of Gambero Rosso’s Vini d’Italia wine guide. In 1986, Gambero Rosso took its first steps as a weekly supplement in the daily newspaper Il Manifesto. A year later, the first Gambero Rosso wine guide was printed. In 1999, the company founded the first thematic television channel in Europe, followed by the Città del Gusto, the schools, the master program, and recently, the public stock offering in November 2015. In the meantime, fascination with Italy and its authentic products swept the world, with wine events around the globe the natural consequence. Tre Bicchieri Week includes the most anxiously awaited Italian wine events in the States, and more than 5,000 wine professionals take part.
The starting point for the events is the enormous work behind the Guida Vini d’Italia: 45,000 wines are tasted for every edition and twenty thousand are reviewed. Vini d’Italia 2016 bestows over 400 Tre Bicchieri awards. The latest edition saw a few classic terroirs come to the fore, such as Montalcino, with great 2010 vintages, or Chianti Classico with its excellent Gran Selezione wines. Barolo is still King of the Langhe with over 30 wines earning an award. The northeast of the country submitted some fine 2014 whites, Veneto reds are in great form, Marche and Campania whites are rising in quality, while general improvement among southern wines and the ever more dynamic Lambrusco means there is always plenty to write about, from both large- and small-scale denominations.
Here are the special awards from Vini d’Italia 2017:
Red Wine of the Year
Gioia del Colle Primitivo Muro Sant’Angelo Contrada Barbetto 2013
White Wine of the Year
Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Cl. Sup. Misco 2015
Sparkling Wine of the Year
Ruggeri Valdobbiadene Extra Dry Giustino B. 2015
Sweet Wine of the Year
Lis Neris Tal Lux Cuvee Speciale
Winery of the Year
Tiberio Pecorino 2015
Grape-grower of the year
Aimone Vio (organic)
Award for sustainable viticulture
About Gambero Rosso
Gambero Rosso® is Italy’s publishing and training leader in the field of wine and food. It is the only multimedia company in the sector that offers magazines, books, guides, a website, smart phone applications, and a television channel – Sky 412. Since 1987, Gambero Rosso has represented Italian-made food and wine, testing and certifying the quality of products, telling the stories behind the flavors and traditions of the Bel Paese. In Italy, Gambero Rosso offers Città del Gusto® training courses in five cities. Gambero Rosso has developed a rich, worldwide network of partnerships with prestigious culinary institutes to promote authentic Italian culinary traditions and products.
About Vini d’Italia 2017
“Vini d’Italia” is the worldwide best-selling guide to Italian wine. In its 30th edition, “Vini d’Italia” presents the top Italian wines available now. “Vini d’Italia” has always followed the same method: rigorous blind tastings, evaluations made by a panel, and the classic rating by bicchieri (glasses), from one to three.