Events include an inaugural, month-long online auction, the 23rd annual Pinot Noir Festival & More
Philo, Calif., April 27, 2022 — The third annual Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Month kicks off May 1, celebrating the region’s signature grape with a series of events hosted by local wineries, restaurants and the Anderson Valley Winegrowers Association.
The appellation’s first-ever, month-long online auction will start at midnight on May 1. Hosted by the Anderson Valley Winegrowers Association (AVWA), in partnership with Visit Mendocino County and Covet Pass, this auction will raise funds for local charities and will include exclusive packages pairing vintners with intimate and creative experiences, including accommodations and dining.
Lots range from luxurious packages like a stayover and private winemaker dinner for four with Ted & Heidi Lemon of Littorai Wines at the very exclusive Inn at Newport Ranch, to multiple packages including vineyard and redwood airstream wine glamping with producers like Baxter & Lichen Estate. For donors closer to the San Francisco Bay Area, Kosta Browne is offering a VIP Observations Tasting Experience for ten people in Sebastopol, and Reeve Wine has donated a tasting and stay at their Dry Creek Villa.
“The Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Festival, happening again on May 20-22, has raised money for local charities for 22 years. This year we’re focusing on offering more unique, curated experiences that wine lovers can share with our vintners and lodging and dining members – and you can bid online, from anywhere,” said Courtney DeGraff, executive director of the AVWA. “We’ll also hold a wine bottle raffle at the festival grand tasting, where one raffle ticket could send someone home with a large format or library wine.”
The Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Festival will celebrate its 23rd year and welcome Pinot-lovers back to Mendocino wine country on May 20-22. Events include a technical conference, casual barbecue at Goldeneye Winery and grand tasting at Scharffenberger Cellars.
Other vintner events during the month include a sparkling wine release party on May 1, where Foursight Wines will debut their inaugural NV Brut Nature; farmstead flights and bites events starting on Mother’s Day at Pennyroyal Farm; and a BBQ tasting with live music and wine at Anderson Valley’s newest tasting room, Boonville Road Wines, on Saturday, May 21. Handley Cellars will be hosting a winemaker dinner at The Boonville Hotel on Saturday, May 21 and on Sunday, May 22, the two dozen-plus local tasting rooms will invite guests to their Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Festival open houses to enjoy food and wine pairings, music and more.
Not all events in May are winery hosted. The Philo Apple Farm will kick off a monthly Saturday Supper dinner series to honor the legacy of Sally Schmitt, founder of the French Laundry in Napa Valley, who recently passed. Members of the family will rotate in hosting guests and preparing recipes from Sally’s just-published cookbook memoir: “Six California Kitchens.” May’s supper will be paired with Anderson Valley Pinot Noir. The final dinner of the series will be on October 15. Guests are welcome to reserve accommodations on the working farm and orchard.
About the Anderson Valley Winegrowers Association
The Anderson Valley Winegrowers Association (AVWA) was founded in 1983 – the same year as the appellation. Made up of 28 vineyard, 63 winery and 72 associate members, the nonprofit organization operates with the goal of supporting the region’s premier grape growers and wineries, as well as promoting the region’s distinguished wines. In addition to acting as a resource for its members, the association aims to better its community by donating funds every year to local nonprofit organizations. For more information about the association, or for a list of association members, please visit www.avwines.com.
Anderson Valley Pinot Month Auction: Sunday, May 1 to Tuesday, May 31
- Online Bidding
- Information: www.32auctions.com/AVPNF2022
- An online auction to celebrate “May is Anderson Valley Pinot Month” and the 23rd annual AV Pinot Noir Festival. Bidding begins on May 1 and closes on May 31. Proceeds benefit the Anderson Valley Fire Fighters, the Mendocino Conservation Resources District, and the local Parent Teacher Association supporting Anderson Valley’s schools. Sponsored by Visit Mendocino & Covet Pass.
Foursight Wines Sparkling Release: Sunday, May 1
- Cost: $25
- Information: www.foursightwines.com
- Location: Foursight Wines Tasting Room, 14475 Highway 128, Boonville, CA 95415
- Event to celebrate the inaugural Foursight NV Brut Nature — with sabering demonstrations, scrumptious small bites, and a full line-up of estate-grown white wines and Pinot Noirs, plus some surprises.
Pennyroyal Flights & Bites: Saturday & Sunday, May 7-8 and 21-22
- Cost: $45
- Information: exploretock.com/pennyroyalfarm
- Location: 14930 CA-128, Boonville, CA 95415
- Prix fixe tasting menu featuring a flight of our estate wines paired with farmstead bites.
The Apple Farm Saturday Supper Series: May 7 to October 15
- Cost: $180
- Information: www.philoapplefarm.com
- Location: The Philo Apple Farm, 18501 Philo Greenwood Rd, Philo, CA 95466
- A special dinner series to celebrate the release of Sally’s new cookbook memoir “Six California Kitchens.” Each five-course meal will feature different seasonal recipes from the book along with local wine pairings. Feel free to bring your own bottle to share (no corkage fee).
Boonville Road Pinot Fest Afterparty: Saturday, May 21
- Cost: $35
- Information: www.foursightwines.com
- Location: Boonville Road Tasting Room, 8750 Philo School Rd, Philo, CA 95466
- Offering smoked BBQ fare and local folk music, this event will offer guests a chance to explore low-alcohol wines by both Boonville Road & Weatherborne Wines in their shared Philo location.
Handley Winemaker Dinner at The Boonville Hotel: Saturday, May 21
- Cost $175
- Information: www.handleycellars.com/
- Location: 3151 CA-128, Philo, CA 95466
- Join owners Lulu, Scott and Golden and winemaker, Randy, for a dinner created by Chef Perry Hoffman. A five course meal paired with Handley Pinots, including a library vintage. Reservations via the Boonville Hotel.
Anderson Valley Open House Sunday: Sunday, May 22
- Cost: Varies
- Information: www.avwines.com/pinot-event-
- Location: wineries throughout Anderson Valley
- Join the Open House events by local wineries. Reservations may be required.