TASTE Kicked-Off with Taste Our Terroir, the Annual Livermore Valley Food and Wine Competition, Where Four Winery and Restaurant Pairs Came Away with Top Honors
Livermore, CA, October 26, 2023 – Livermore Valley Wine Community held TASTE: The Livermore Valley Wine Experience from October 19-22, 2023, in which hundreds of wine and food lovers attended 15 events featuring Livermore Valley’s award-winning wineries. The weekend kicked off with the Taste Our Terroir food and wine competition that paired twelve Livermore Valley wineries and restaurants to compete for the perfect pairing. The event was followed with a weekend of experiences including winemaker dinners, vertical tastings with multiple wineries, gourmet food and wine pairings and outdoor activities among the vines.
This year’s Taste Our Terroir judges were Stacy Briscoe, a senior editor of Wine Enthusiast magazine; Chef Kimberly Gamble, Bay Area local culinary expert, the “Queen of Thai Cuisine” and Chopped contestant; and Dr. Liz Thach, MW, a Professor, Wine Writer and Consultant and the first female to obtain the distinction of Master of Wine (MW) from California. These highly esteemed judges selected the following winners:
- Judge’s Best: Overall Best Pairing: Cuda Ridge Wines and LB Steak for their 2018 Estate Petit Verdot paired with Ribeye with Black Garlic Gastrique and Maldon Sea Salt served on Deep Fried Rice Paper.
- Best Classic Pairing: Las Positas Vineyards and The Lounge @ LPV for their 2022 Tempranillo Rosado paired with Smoked Pork Belly crowned with a Tropical Fruit Salsa, drizzled with a Lemon Creme Fraîche and served in a Sweet Hawaiian Flour Taco.
- Most Innovative Pairing: Darcie Kent Estate Winery with Zephyr Grill & Bar for their 2022 Sauvignon Blanc paired with Fresh Sashimi Tuna with a Seaweed Salad, Wasabi Sesame Snow, and Lilikoi Shrimp Salsa served in a Seaweed Cone.
Guests at the event also voted for their favorite’s in the “People’s Choice Awards” for both red and white wine pairings. The winners were:
- Best White Wine Pairing: Darcie Kent Estate Winery with Zephyr Grill & Bar for their 2022 Sauvignon Blanc paired with Fresh Sashimi Tuna with a Seaweed Salad, Wasabi Sesame Snow, and Lilikoi Shrimp Salsa served in a Seaweed Cone.
- Best Red Wine Pairing: The Steven Kent Winery and Locanda Wine Bar for their 2021 Cabernet Franc paired with Braised Short Rib with a Cabernet Franc Demi-Glace Reduction on a bed of Soft Polenta with Truffle Crema.
“TASTE: The Livermore Valley Wine Experience was a complete success with guests enjoying all that the Livermore Valley Wine Community has to offer,” said Heather McGrail, Chair of TASTE and President of McGrail Vineyards and Winery. “From our exciting kick-off with Taste Our Terroir to closing out the weekend with an event celebrating all the unique terroir that binds our community, we’re thankful to the wine community and all of the guests that attended over this unforgettable weekend. We look forward to next year’s event!”
For more information about Livermore Valley Wine Community and their wineries, visit https://www.lvwine.org/.
ABOUT LIVERMORE VALLEY WINE COMMUNITY
The Livermore Valley Wine Community is a 501(c)6 organization that supports the wineries, growers and members in the Livermore Valley American Viticultural Area through educational and marketing programs. For more information, please visit www.LVwine.org.