February 18th – New York, NY—The March issue of Wine Spectator is dedicated to… dogs! At a time when unconditional love and devotion is needed most, the magazine is giving readers a treat by spotlighting more than a dozen dogs that work and play alongside their winemaker owners and serve as ambassadors at top estates in Sonoma and Napa Valley. The issue’s purpose: to bring smiles and spread happiness. Because why not?
“This special issue, which is near and dear to my heart, has been three years in the making,” said Marvin R. Shanken, editor and publisher of Wine Spectator. “If you have a pet, you will especially enjoy this issue. If you don’t have a pet, we hope to inspire you to consider adopting one.”
The following canine companions are profiled:
- RILEY, IMOGENE & PENNY, Yellow English Labrador, age 9, Labrador Retriever mix, age 3, and mixed—a true mutt, age 3, owned by Barbara Banke, Jackson Family Wines
- CODY, Golden Retriever, age 9, owned by Doug Shafer, Shafer Vineyards
- BAILEY, Bernese Mountain Dog, age 5, owned by Samantha Rudd, Rudd Estate
- LEVI, White Labrador, age 11, owned by Joel Gott, Joel Gott Wines and Gott’s Roadside
- NALA, Golden Retriever, age 6, owned by Bill Foley, Foley Family Wines
- SIRI & FOO, Bernese Mountain Dogs, both 6 years old, owned by Robin Lail, Lail Vineyards
- BRUNO, Lagotto Romagnolo, one year old, owned by Chuck Wagner, Caymus Vineyards
- BORIS, Rottweiler, age 5, owned by Candace Cameron Bure and Val Bure, Bure Family Wines
- COCO, Boxer, age 9, owned by Dave Phinney, Orion Swift and L’Usine
- KHAN, Rhodesian Ridgeback, age 4, owned by Bill and Deborah Harlan, Harlan Estate
- THEO, CARLOS & GRIZZLY, Husky Mix, age 4, Australian Labradoodle, age 4, and Bolognese, age 7, owned by Joe Wagner, Copper Cane
- HOLLY, Yellow Labrador, age 12, owned by Kim Stare Wallace, Dry Creek Vineyard
- JADE & OLLIE, German Shepherd, age 9 and Corgi, age 3, owned by Michael and Sarah Browne, Cirq and Chev
- TUCKER, Black Labrador, age 11, owned by Peter Michael, Peter Michael Winery
- MOLLY, Nova Scotia Duck Toller, age 7, owned by Chris Carpenter, Lokoya and Cardinale
- ROCKY, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, age 11, owned by Kathryn and Craig Hall, Hall Wines
- SOLOMON & LUNA, Lurchers, both age 11, owned by Lee Hudson, Hudson Ranch & Vineyards
The Dogs of Wine Country issue also features a roundup of pet-friendly tasting rooms, along with a photo gallery of the dogs belonging to M. Shanken Communications staff.
Readers are encouraged to submit their own dog photos, at WineSpectator.com/DogPhotos
The March issue becomes available February 16 to humans and pets everywhere.
About Wine Spectator
Wine Spectator is the world’s leading authority on wine. Anchored by Wine Spectator magazine, a print publication that reaches around 3 million readers worldwide, the brand also encompasses the Web’s most comprehensive wine site (WineSpectator.com), mobile platforms and a series of signature events. Wine Spectator examines the world of wine from the vineyard to the table, exploring wine’s role in contemporary culture and delivering expert reviews of more than 15,000 wines each year. Parent company M. Shanken Communications, Inc., also publishes Cigar Aficionado, Whisky Advocate, Market Watch, Shanken News Daily and Shanken’s Impact Newsletter.