A “Tribute to the World of Wine” Opening just west of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile Will Feature Rare Wines from Around the World & Unique and Immersive Experiences
CHICAGO, IL, November 11, 2019 – Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants, a lifestyle brand centered around food and wine, today announced the opening of Cooper’s Hawk Esquire Chicago on Monday, November 11. Located in the historic Esquire building in the heart of Chicago’s Gold Coast (58 E. Oak Street), the 41st location marks the powerhouse brand’s first foray into urban dining. The immersive experience – spanning over 23,000 square feet – celebrates wine and its long and global history. The location is the first ever to include wines from outside the Cooper’s Hawk portfolio – in fact, the vast selection of rare and majestic wines includes 1,600 collections from around the world hand-selected by Master Sommelier Emily Wines. This also includes the personal collection of founder and CEO Tim McEnery, composed of over 750 bottles.
“Cooper’s Hawk Esquire Chicago celebrates the combined impact food and wine has on history and culture,” said Tim McEnery, Cooper’s Hawk Founder and CEO. “We believe there is nothing else like it in the world. Cooper’s Hawk Esquire Chicago is the next natural step for our guests and wine club members – as we’ve created a deeper journey into wine while maintaining our approachable and fun values.”
Cooper’s Hawk Esquire Chicago is an experiential dining destination and “wine paradise” where guests can immerse themselves in the storied history of wine and the culinary traditions that emerged alongside local wine cultures at this experiential destination found only at Cooper’s Hawk Esquire Chicago. In addition to the regular Cooper’s Hawk menu and wine list, the E. Oak Street location will feature a few new and exciting highlights:
- Interactive and orchestrated experience for select guests and staff to saber a bottle of champagne (sabering is a technique and tradition for opening a sparking bottle of wine with a saber during ceremonial occasions)
- An elevated selection of menu items including a Pistachio-Crusted Australian Rack of Lamb, 25 oz Prime Bone-In Ribeye and Miso Glazed Chilean Seabass each paired with a trio of wine under the direction of Executive Chef Matthew McMillin and Master Sommelier, Emily Wines
- A deep collection of wine and a wine list organized by varietal, sharing their birthplace and how they’ve migrated around the world. Also featuring wine quotes from iconic movies/shows like Game of Thrones, Sideways, Anchorman, Princess Bride and celebrities including Lady Gaga, Johnny Depp and Steely Dan – encouraging guests to drink what taste’s good, learn along the way and most importantly have fun!
- A first-ever “Reserve Wine List” including 250 selections and seasonal cocktails made with Cooper’s Hawk wines
- A massive 50-foot wine tower including a spiral staircase linking the second and third floors – inside the tower are hundreds and hundreds of temperature-controlled bottles in racks that are suspended from the ceiling
- Guided tours of the wine tower – which houses 1600 bottles of wine
- A chronological art installation in the entry showcasing the history and importance of wine and several notable wine events through time.
- Showcased throughout the restaurant, collections of wine-inspired relics including a beautifully displayed collection of sabers, vintage corkscrews, decanters and bottle openers dating back to the 1900’s from around the world are showcased
- A grand tasting room, the focal point of the restaurant, which creates a unique experience and community for strangers and fellow wine club members to come together and share their love of wine.
- 6 private dining room and event spaces accommodating up to 120 people, themed and highly appointed
“I first experienced Cooper’s Hawk through the eyes of Tim McEnery,” said Emily Wines, Master Sommelier and Cooper’s Hawk VP, Wine and Beverage Experience. “He passionately believes that food and wine hold the power to change lives and forge lasting connections – and that the act sharing a meal is vital to the human experience. Our wine list, organized by varietal, tells the stories of the people and cultures behind the migration of grapes and the wines they produced. This format has helped create a wine list that feels really accessible while also being educational and fun.”
Upon arrival, guests are captivated by the original illuminated original Esquire Theater sign. Many of the original elements have been preserved or restored; wood paneling, lush upholstery, and a ceiling reminiscent of the art deco-era. In addition to art installations centered on wine, the restaurant also highlights include a chandelier made from rustic wine staves. The restaurant will accommodate 405 interior seats, a 18-seat patio space, and unique and flexible options for private dining. The Esquire location was designed by Aria Group Architects Inc., a local firm that has worked with Cooper’s Hawk for over twelve years.
Cooper’s Hawk has a long history in Chicago. Tim McEnery, who grew up in Orland Park, opened the first Cooper’s Hawk (and its first winery) in his hometown in 2005. 14 years later, there are 13 Cooper’s Hawk locations in Chicagoland, and 41 across the country – each with a loyal following of Wine Club members contribute to the company’s ranking as the home to the largest wine club in the United States. Cooper’s Hawk employs nearly 6,000 team members across the country. The opening of Cooper’s Hawk Esquire is a next step in the brand’s evolution and will provide a deeper and trusted journey into wine.
Cooper’s Hawk Esquire Chicago
58 E Oak Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Reservations: 312-736-9999 or at Open Table starting on Monday, November 11
Hours of operation are:
Sun – Thurs: Restaurant 11am-11pm, Tasting Room 11am – 11pm, Bar 11am – 12am
Fri – Sat: Restaurant 11am-12am & Tasting Room 11am – 12am, Bar 11am – 1am
About Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants
Founded in 2005 by CEO Tim McEnery, Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants is built upon the belief that food and wine hold the power to forge lasting connections. A lifestyle brand focused on creating memorable moments that enrich lives, the company is home to nearly 400,000 Wine Club members and will operate 41 locations by end of 2019. The concept is a fusion of familiar elements – modern casual restaurant, Napa-style tasting room, and artisanal retail market combined to create an entirely new hospitality experience. Cooper’s Hawk has won over 500 awards for its wine and has been named the Official Wine of the Screen Actors Guild® Awards.