Home Industry News Releases CJ McCollum Expands on Willamette Valley Legacy with Debut of McCollum Heritage...

CJ McCollum Expands on Willamette Valley Legacy with Debut of McCollum Heritage 91 2020 Chardonnay

141
0
Advertisement
  • Avalara

McCollum Heritage 91 to release its first chardonnay on November 28, 2022

NEWBERG, Ore. (Nov. 30, 2022) – Professional athlete and wine connoisseur CJ McCollum will release his first chardonnay with the release of a McCollum Heritage 91 2020 Chardonnay. The chardonnay marks the seventh wine to be released from McCollum Heritage 91, following the successful launch of two Chehalem Mountains Pinot noirs that sold out in less than an hour, two Willamette Valley Rosé wines, the 2019 One Barrel Challenge Chardonnay and the 2016 Heritage 91 Sparkling Blanc de blancs. The 2020 McCollum Heritage 91 chardonnay’s release date is November 28, 2022. 

“I’ll be honest – when I first started drinking wine, I didn’t like white wine,” said McCollum. “However, as I started learning more about wine — and enjoying it with my wife Elise — I started to appreciate white wine, and specifically chardonnay that’s made in the style of the Pacific Northwest. Now, I love to enjoy chardonnay with seafood, especially shrimp, oysters and New Orleans gumbo.” 

McCollum Heritage 91 is a culmination of not only McCollum’s passion for wine, but also his dedication to creating a brand that carries forward his legacy. Working in partnership with Adelsheim Vineyard, he has spent countless hours with winemaker Gina Hennen to refine his preferences, and has been hands-on in every step of the process.

The McCollum Heritage 91 2020 Chardonnay is a barrel selection from two Adelsheim estate properties in the Chehalem Mountains AVA, both of which are LIVE sustainably farmed. Boulder Bluff vineyard comprises 61% of the blend and offers weight and texture to the wine. Bryan Creek vineyard makes up the remaining 39%, contributing structure and elegance. The nose is resplendent with vivid notes of crisp pear, hazelnut praline, and a curl of lemon zest. Its ample weight and richness are balanced by a precise acidity, lending vibrancy and a nod to longevity.

The wine was fermented and aged in French oak barrels (35% new) for 12 months followed by another 5 months in stainless steel tanks prior to bottling.

“It’s an honor to have worked with CJ on the release of McCollum Heritage 91’s first chardonnay,” said Adelsheim’s Gina Hennen, who serves as winemaker for McCollum Heritage 91. “The year 2020 was an unusual one here in Oregon wine country — an unexpected three-week rain event coincided with bloom, which resulted in one of the lowest yielding vintages the region has experienced. The smaller berries resulted in concentrated flavors from the higher skin-to-juice ratio. That said, a summer of moderate temperatures and plenty of sunshine provided the backbone of a noteworthy vintage that resulted in wines worth celebrating, including the McCollum Heritage 91 2020 Chardonnay.”

The McCollum Heritage 91 2020 Chardonnay is available for purchase on the McCollum Heritage 91 website and retails for $50. The label name, McCollum Heritage 91, is not only a nod to McCollum’s family name; heritage is the name of the street he grew up on in Canton, Ohio and “91” is a reflection of his own vintage, having been born in 1991. 

About McCollum Heritage 91

McCollum Heritage 91 is the creation of CJ McCollum. Having been introduced to wine in his early 20s, McCollum’s fortuitous move to one of the top wine regions in the U.S. led him to take his existing passion for — and knowledge of — wine to new heights. As reflected through his work both on-and-off the basketball court, leaving a legacy is greatly important to McCollum, and McCollum Heritage 91 is a reflection of bringing his passions to life and honoring his family name in the process. For more information, please visit: www.mccollumheritage91.com.

Advertisement
  • Avalara
Previous articleCline Family Cellars Introduces Sonoma AVA Series
Next articleProWein 2023 Trend Text No. 1 / November 2022: Message in a Bag-in-Box

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.