26 April – O’Higgins, a California native, educated in both California and France with extensive credentials in wine business management and marketing, along with numerous advisory and consulting positions in several wine regions of California, Washington State, Colorado, Texas, Ohio as well as in France and South America has been hired by Gibson Wine Company.
Keith Nilmeier, President of the Board of Directors for Gibson Wine Company, announced the hiring of Tom O’Higgins as General Manager. “We the board of directors and the Gibson Wine Company, are delighted to have selected Tom and to have his very broad and deep talents and experience in winery management and marketing expertise. With his leadership we hope to see an enhanced and increased visibility and recognition of the Gibson Wine Company brand and its line up of wines and related products in the near future and beyond.” Along with additional improvements in our management practices and operations in all areas of the winery and at all levels and inherently a significant increase in sales and revenue.
Gibson Wine Company was incorporated on June 20,1939 (6 years after repeal) as Sanger Winery Association. The winery has been located on North and Academy Avenue since the 1890’s. The winery was founded by: E.L. “Ted” Barr, Sr., Frank K.Sayre, Jake Rheingans, Bert Zook, and S.A. “SI” Lines.
- 1939: Sanger Winery Association, consisting of 33 members, crushed 7,000 tons. Grapes were delivered by truck, and unloaded by hand.
- 1941: Gibson joined California Wine Sales Company (later changed to Guild) 1941-1945 bottled Sanger Club & Calwisa.
- 1949: Quit Guild Winery
- 1950: Bulk wine was sold to Gibson until it was purchased.
- 1961: Sanger Winery Association purchased Gibson Wine Company.
- 1973: Gibson Crushed 36,000 tons and increased to 154 members.
- 1974: Sanger Winery Association changed its name to Gibson Wine Company.
Our logo, the pheasant has long been a trademark of the Gibson Wine Company. The late Bob Gibson, who was founder and principal owner of Gibson Wine Company, for many years was a renowned bird fancier and maintained the largest privately owned collection of rare and exotic birds in the United States.
In his travels, he found a rare portfolio containing the original drawings by an early day naturalist and artist. After researching for authenticity by leading ornithologists, the drawings were deemed the highest of quality and detail. Mr. Gibson, then with the cooperation of H.S. Crocker Company, brought Jean Fabreau a skilled Belgian engraver to America, who hand engraved the plates from which H.S. Crocker Company made the finished product.
Gibson Wine Company is a cooperative owned by 13 growers/members. Including our office staff and administrators, we employ about 100 people during crush.