Inaugural ‘Top 10 Wine Values of the Year’ List Revealed at WineSpectator.com
New York, NY (January 7, 2022)—Wine Spectator, the world’s leading authority on wine, today unveiled its inaugural Top 10 Wine Values of 2021, with New Zealand’s Allan Scott Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2021 taking top honors as the Wine Value of the Year. This offering from the pioneering wine family is an abundant, 93-point, fruit-driven, new world style wine priced at just $17.
Spotlighting the best-priced wines of the year, the list features bottles that are rated 90 points or higher on Wine Spectator’s 100-point scale, cost $40 or less and are made in large-enough quantities to be widely available.
“Great wine doesn’t have to be expensive. In celebration of those wines that overdeliver on quality for the price, we’ve selected our Top 10 Wine Values of 2021,” said Marvin R. Shanken, editor and publisher, Wine Spectator. “While making these selections, we kept in mind the diversity of the global wine scene, looking for wines with solid track records that are good representatives of their regions.”
The Top 10 Wine Values of 2021 are:
- Allan Scott | Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2021 | 93 points | $17 | 100,000 Cases made/45,000 Cases Imported | New Zealand
- Castello Banfi | Chianti Classico 2019 | 91 Score | $17 | 40,000 Cases Made/23,000 Cases Imported | Italy
- J | Pinot Noir Monterey-Sonoma-Santa Barbara Counties Winemaker’s Selection 2018 | 91 Score | $25 | 65,000 Cases Made | California
- Bodega Numanthia | Tinta de Toro Toro Termes 2017 | 91 Score | $24 | 12,500 Cases Made/10,000 Cases Imported | Spain
- Seghesio | Zinfandel Sonoma County Sonoma 2019 | 92 Score | $26 | 100,685 Cases Made | California
- Alois Lageder | Pinot Grigio Vigneti delle Dolomiti Terra Alpina 2019 | 90 Score | $16 | 19,000 Cases Imported | Italy
- Dry Creek | Fumé Blanc Sonoma County 2020 | 92 Score | $16 | 29,000 Cases Made | California
- Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars | Chardonnay Napa Valley Karia 2019 | 91 Score | $34 | 26,400 Cases Made | California
- Frei Brothers | Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley Sonoma Reserve 2018 | 90 Score | $27 | 40,000 Cases Made | California
- Cambria | Chardonnay Santa Maria Valley Katherine’s Vineyard 2019 | 91 Score | $22 | 52,000 Cases Made | California
Wine Spectator senior editor and New Zealand wine reviewer MaryAnn Worobiec discussed the honor with winning producer Allan Scott co-owner Josh Scott for a special live video series. The interview on “Straight Talk with Wine Spectator” can be viewed here.
Wine Spectator’s February issue—which features the Top 10 Wine Values of 2021, along with recommended Smart Buys from the magazine’s editorial staff—is available on newsstands January 25.
About Wine Spectator
Wine Spectator is the world’s leading authority on wine. Anchored by Wine Spectator magazine, a print publication that reaches around 3 million readers worldwide, the brand also encompasses the Web’s most comprehensive wine site (WineSpectator.com), mobile platforms and a series of signature events. Wine Spectator examines the world of wine from the vineyard to the table, exploring wine’s role in contemporary culture and delivering expert reviews. Parent company M. Shanken Communications, Inc., also publishes Cigar Aficionado, Whisky Advocate, Market Watch, Shanken News Daily and Shanken’s Impact Newsletter.