From Napa to Nebbiolo… Wine Tales from The Golden State
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – November 9, 2021 – The late Steven Spurrier’s Académie du Vin Library has published “ON CALIFORNIA – From Napa to Nebbiolo… Wine Tales from The Golden State,” MSRP $45, a collection of best works on California wine from the world’s most beloved wine writers. Following its predecessor, “On Bordeaux,” this seminal book showcases past, present and future stories of California wine told by renowned international wine writers.
The newest title encompasses the expansive diversity of wine and wine grapes that span the illustrious coastlines of California, from complex Cabernets and glistening Chardonnays to mighty Zinfandels and delicate Pinot Noirs. Almost any wine (iconic or otherwise) from France, Italy, Spain, or Australia will find a parallel on these golden shores. Authoring these tales from the Golden State is a team of the world’s most renowned experts, revealing the how, why, where, when—and what comes next—for the majestic wines of California.
Académie du Vin Library is a renowned UK luxury publishing house of fine wine books. Managing Director, Hermione Ireland, said “‘ON CALIFORNIA’ is a landmark publication for us. California was a hugely important place to Steven and we wish he was here to see this book published. We were so pleased to work with such a wonderful collection of international writers for these California stories and hope the great wine world will embrace our efforts to publish wine writing at its finest.” Renowned author of “The Wine Bible,” Karen MacNeil, has written the Foreword and Warren Winiarski, Judgment of Paris winner for his 1973 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, has written the Introduction.
“ON CALIFORNIA,” conceived by Spurrier, who died March 9, 2021, launched in the US on his birthday, October 5th, to honor his legacy at Académie du Vin Library and in the wider world of wine. Purchases are now available at https://academieduvinlibrary.
Included In “ON CALIFORNIA”:
- Steven Spurrier, George Taber, Fiona Morrison MW – 1976: How the ‘Judgement of Paris’ altered the prospects of Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon forever
- Elaine Chukan Brown – Drought and Fire and the Future of California Wine
- Clare Tooley MW – Explains why there would be no winemaking in California without the mighty Pacific Ocean: “Without the Pacific, we’re nothing”
- Kelli White – The Boffins behind California’s wine ambition, from Hilgard to Amerine
- Elin McCoy – Napa vs Sonoma: The difference between California’s best loved wine regions
- Jane Anson – Introduces the four players at the table: How Cabernet Sauvignon made it to California in the first place
- Warren Winiarski, Randall Grahm, Gallo – Bring out the Big Guns: The big wines, the iconic reds of Napa Valley, the big names and the big grapes
- Esther Mobley, William Kelley, Harry Eyres and Margaret Rand – The great Napa ‘Recalibration’ reveal a new Napa look for the 2020s
About Académie Du Vin Library
The Académie du Vin Library is a new imprint founded by Steven Spurrier and friends, dedicated to publishing the finest wine writing of the past, the present and the future. Our list is small and will never be large – because we value quality over quantity. We choose our books with care – above all for their readability, but also because we genuinely believe they have something important to say about the world of fine wine that will enhance your drinking pleasure.