November 9th – SAN FRANCISCO — California vineyards and wineries are encouraged to apply for the 2022 California Green Medal Sustainable
Vineyards and wineries that participate in a sustainability program in California are eligible to apply in four award categories, recognizing
- Leader Award, given to the vineyard or winery that demonstrates success and innovation in all of the below three areas of sustainable winegrowing and also inspires others.
- Environment Award, given to the vineyard or winery that best demonstrates Environmental Stewardship through maximized environmental benefits from implementing sustainable practices.
- Community Award, given to the vineyard or winery that is a Good Neighbor and Employer using the most innovative practices that enhance relations with employees, neighbors and/or communities.
- Business Award, given to the vineyard or winery that best demonstrates Smart Business through efficiencies, cost savings and innovation from implementing sustainable practices.
“The California Green Medal awards provide an annual opportunity to showcase vintners and winegrape growers who are deeply committed to environmentally and socially responsible practices,” said Allison Jordan, Executive Director. “We are excited to review the 2022 entries, which always provide practical and real-life examples of the California wine community’s leadership in sustainable winegrowing.”
The 2021 California Green Medal recipients included:
- O’Neill Vintners & Distillers, Leader Award
- Shannon Ridge Family of Wines, Environment Award
- Boisset Collection, Community Award
- Trinchero Family Estates, Business Award
Applications are being accepted now through Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2022.
About the 2022 California Green Medal Awards
Winners will receive a Green Medal and be recognized in widely distributed communications, as well as an awards ceremony in spring 2022.
The eighth annual California Green Medal Awards are being judged by a panel of wine and sustainability experts including Karen Block, UC Davis Viticulture and Enology; Stephanie Bolton, Lodi Winegrape Commission; Anna Brittain, Napa Green; Lisa Francioni-Hai, California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance; Natalie Wymer, Wine Institute; Sandra Taylor, Sustainable Business International LLC; Frances Knapczyk, Napa Resource Conservation District; Cyril Penn, Wine Business Monthly; Katie Piontek, Sonoma County Winegrape Commission; Phil Market, Vons, Albertsons, Pavilions; and Beth Vukmanic, Vineyard Team.
The California Green Medal is presented by the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA), California Association of Winegrape Growers, Wine Institute, Lodi Winegrape Commission, Napa Green, Napa Valley Vintners, Sonoma County Winegrowers and The Vineyard Team.
- Exclusive Media Sponsor: Wine Business Monthly
- Gold Sponsor: Farm Credit Alliance