April 12th – The results of the 2021 London Wine Competition are out. This is a competition where wines are judged for end consumers. Wines are rated with three main criteria in mind: quality, value and package. To be a medal winner, wines must show an overall rating in all the three factors. This year’s competition saw entries from more than 36 countries. 135 different types of grape varietals were entered with the top three being Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.
The top countries to enter were Australia, Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, United States and Moldova. The biggest increase in wines was seen from Moldova.
2015 Anubis Cabernet Sauvignon made by Levrier Wines in Australia won the superlative ‘Wine of the Year’ award.
Here are the top winners of the 2021 London Wine Competition:
- Wine Of The Year – Levrier by Jo Irvine 2015 Anubis Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia.
- Winery Of The Year – Bodegas HABLA (BODEGAS BH S.L.), Spain
- Best Wine By Quality – Levrier by Jo Irvine 2015 Anubis Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia
- Best Wine By Value – Habla Nº22, Spain
- Best Wine By Packaging – Silverado Vineyards Estate Grown Cabernet Sauvignon, United States.
These wines won the Best wines by country award:
- Australia – Levrier by Jo Irvine 2015 Anubis Cabernet Sauvignon
- United States – Silverado Vineyards Estate Grown Cabernet Sauvignon
- France – Champagne Philippe Glavier – Folie d’Cramant
- Spain – Habla Nº22
- Italy – 1924 Prosecco
- Portugal – Quinta do Gradil 1492
- New Zealand – Yealands Reserve Sauvignon Blanc
- Greece – Nykteri
- Austria – Hafner Kashmir
- South Africa – Du Toitskloof Old Vine Sauvignon Blanc
- Moldova, Republic of- Rose De Purcari Sapiens
- Georgia -Château Mukhrani Qvevri 2017
These are the awards for the Best wines by varietal:
- Cabernet Sauvignon- Levrier by Jo Irvine 2015 Anubis Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia
- Shiraz – Mr Riggs 2014 The Chap, Australia
- Tempranillo – Habla Nº22, Spain
- Pinot noir – Clyde Park 2020 Single Block F College Pinot Noir, Australia
- Zinfandel – Twisted Cedar Zinfandel, United States
- Sauvignon blanc – Yealands Reserve Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand
- Riesling – 2018er Dürkheimer Michelsberg GG Riesling trocken
About London Wine Competition
The London Wine Competition is an international wine competition organized by Beverage Trade Network. The competition looks to recognise, reward and help promote wine brands that have successfully been created to identify with and target a specific wine drinker profile. The competition recognizes that for any wine brand to earn its place on a retailer’s shelf or a restaurant’s wine list – and then vitally stay there – they need to be marketable and consumer-driven and not just produced in the general hope it can find enough people willing to sell and buy it. Learn more at www.londonwinecompetition.com.