Bordeaux, May 21, 2019 – The 20th edition of Vinexpo Bordeaux has come to a successful close, having welcomed 1,600 international exhibitors from 30 countries and industry professionals visiting from around the globe. China, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and Spain were among the top visiting countries in 2019. Held at Bordeaux’s Parc des Expositions, this year saw four full days of exhibits, networking opportunities and hard-hitting educational opportunities, including the new “Act for Change” Symposium, a ground-breaking event exploring the effects of climate change on the world’s vineyards, vineyard management, winemaking and wine economy. Additionally, in a strategic move by Vinexpo, this year’s exhibition was rescaled to ensure a more effective format that focuses on a quality experience for both exhibitor and attendee alike. The exhibition also benefited from the newly refurbished Hall 2 (Palais 2 Atlantique).
With more than 2,300 qualified meetings arranged, and key decision-makers making up 65 percent of all exhibition visitors, Vinexpo Bordeaux ensured another fruitful year of business in the wine industry. From time spent on negotiations and the quality of contacts generated, to the volume of deals closed, exhibitors raved at their successes in 2019. “Vinexpo shows are great. We have been coming to Bordeaux for 30 years and to Vinexpo Hong Kong for 20 years,” said Graham Taylor, managing director of Glasgow Whisky in Scotland. “The show opened an hour ago and I have already met customers from India and Russia.” Similar satisfaction was shown from buyers such as Truls Flakstad, a Norwegian importer (PROCURA), who said, “I appreciate the effectiveness of the One to Wine meetings. The meetings are prepared in advance, are vetted, and I was delighted with the result. For example, my first two meetings resulted in immediate deals and the others enabled me to plan ahead for the long-term.”
An Organic, Biodynamic Focus
2019 also saw the return of WOW! (World of Organic Wines)—a space dedicated entirely to organic and biodynamic wines that featured 150 producers from ten countries. Based on its considerable success, participants like Andrea Lotti, managing director of the Lechburg Winery in Romania, have already committed to the initiative in future, saying, “We signed our first international order in the WOW! space at Vinexpo Hong Kong 2018 and took part in WOW! at Vinexpo Bordeaux to further develop our exports. We intend to exhibit in Shanghai and New York as well.”
Once again, Vinexpo showed its commitment to providing meaningful, relevant programming, which has long been a part of the its DNA. Among this year’s seminars, conferences and educational events:
- 650 attendees took part in the “Act for Change” Symposium, which brought together some of the world’s foremost scientists, economists, academics and wine industry professionals for three unique sessions on the impact of global climate change, as well as expert roundtables and debates on related topics. Offered in association with Nouvelle-Aquitaine Regional Council and moderated by CNN correspondent Jim Bittermann, it was the first international symposium of its kind and will take place at future Vinexpo Bordeaux exhibitions.
- 300 participants took part in Vinexpo’s ecommerce conference on “How to optimize sales online,” with a panel consisting of the CEO of Vivino, Le Petit Ballon, Tannico, Alibaba-Tmall and IWSR.
- The Vinexpo Academy also enjoyed a successful year, providing a strong platform for the exchange of ideas during 12 conferences and 24 tastings devoted to wines and spirits from around the world, as well as master classes, battles and other events. Reflecting on the series, American sommelier Derrick C. Westbrook (LLC-USA) said, “Vinexpo is an opportunity to build networks and discover trends in the industry, and these master classes show promise for the future.”
New and Returning Networking Opportunities
Vinexpo Bordeaux 2019 debuted two exciting networking opportunities—La Grande Dégustation and the Diner du Palais—and brought back its popular after-work party, The Blend. All three events took place at the impressive Palais de la Bourse, a historic venue in the city center of Bordeaux. Recognizing that direct contact with consumers provides exhibitors with instant market feedback and a better understanding of the public’s expectations, Vinexpo and Terre de Vins joined forces to create La Grande Dégustation, a unique tasting event in which wine lovers and members of the public were able to taste a selection of international wines from the most renowned wine regions—all on offer at Vinexpo Bordeaux. At the Diner du Palais, exhibitors took advantage of an exclusive opportunity to showcase their wines at the prestigious dinner prepared by renowned chefs Michel Roth and François Adamski of the Michelin-starred MOF and Bocuse d’Or. Vinexpo’s official after-hours event, The Blend, was a perfect opportunity for exhibitors, visitors and media to network with fellow wine professionals in a friendly atmosphere while enjoying a unique selection of wines, spirits and champagnes.
Looking to the Future
In 2021, to celebrate its 40th anniversary, Vinexpo Bordeaux will create a new business model whilst safeguarding its identity and well-established values. Rodolphe Lameyse, CEO of Vinexpo, who took up his role 30 days before the exhibition, said, “The figures indicate the need for a radical change of strategy to relaunch Vinexpo Bordeaux, and for it to exist harmoniously with Vinexpo Paris.” He added, “We must build on our strengths to reinvent ourselves. This new direction is based on three key features: business, content and experiences.”
Vinexpo’s upcoming events:
- Shanghai (October 23-25, 2019)
- Paris (February 10-12, 2020), in partnership with Wine Paris
- New York (March 2-3, 2020)
- Hong Kong (May 26-28, 2020)
Since its establishment in Bordeaux in 1981, on the initiative of Bordeaux Gironde’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Vinexpo has been a leading organizer of events for the wine and spirits industry. In 38 years, Vinexpo has developed a unique understanding of the market and an extensive network of key distributors around the world. The brand currently runs exhibitions in five set locations (Bordeaux, Hong Kong, New York, and soon Shanghai and Paris), and the touring event Vinexpo Explorer. Every year, the Group also publishes the Vinexpo/IWSR Report, which is the most comprehensive survey on the global consumption of wine and spirits.
For more information visit VinexpoBordeaux.com.