Showcasing trends in sustainability, smart labeling and security
MENTOR, OHIO (January 22, 2019) – Avery Dennison Label and Packaging Materials is adding three new collections and five new facestocks to its Wine & Spirits Portfolio, designed to help winemakers tell their brand’s unique story in booth #614 at the 2019 Unified Wine & Grape Symposium in Sacramento, California, January 29 – 31.
“Labeling technology today needs to work harder than ever for the winemaker and retailer, and these new Avery Dennison collections go beyond helping a bottle stand out on the shelf.” said Vanita Marzette, senior product manager – Wine and Spirits, Avery Dennison. “Whether it’s telling a wine’s sustainability story, employing technology to directly engage with consumers, or ensuring a wine’s validity, labels can serve a variety of needs for the winemaker, retailer and end user.”
The new collections include:
- Sensorial™, featuring new Ruby Velvet™ and Black Velvet™ facestocks. Avery Dennison’s Sensorial Collection adds the senses of touch, sound and even smell to the label. The Sensorial Collection offers label surfaces that feature a soft touch, textured or patterned papers. Some offer subtle sounds as fingers move across the surface. Hand-selected trees used to fashion wooden labels deliver a delicate, natural scent.
- Black™, featuring Laid Epic Black™ and Night Skye™ facestocks. Black really is the new black, helping a brand to deliver a message of premium, quality content. The Black Collection is a broad portfolio that reflects dependable quality to deliver outstanding shelf appeal. Materials include structured surfaces, thick to thin facestocks and a choice of different shades. Converters will appreciate the fact that they no longer have to print twice to create a rich, even black label with no white edges and stable hot foiling.
- Luminous™, featuring Snowbound White™ facestock, includes labels that glitter, sparkle and shine to stand out on the shelf.
Avery Dennison is also showcasing wine labeling industry trends at the show. These include:
- Sustainability in Labeling. Sustainability resonates with many consumers, and that story goes beyond production. Avery Dennison facestocks Grape Touch™ – made of 15 percent grape waste sourced from wine production – and Estate Label® No. 14, a 100 percent post-consumer-waste (PCW) paper material that maintains color and strength, even when wet – help tell a brand’s sustainability story while delivering performance and shelf appeal that result in sales.
- NFC Technology for Wine Label Authenticity and Consumer Engagement. Avery Dennison will share more about how labels can be used for security; the company has embarked on a pilot program to reduce counterfeiting and ensure a wine’s authenticity as it moves through the value chain, using NFC-activated labels. NFC technology also enables a brand to share interactive, augmented reality experiences directly with consumers. This technology allows labels to share messaging, coupons, ads, special offers or educational information.
The Avery Dennison North American Wine & Spirits Portfolio contains approximately 150 label constructions featuring an expansive selection of unique facestocks and high-performing adhesives. The portfolio has been designed to provide brand owners and designers the outstanding shelf appeal and functionality needed for wine and spirits applications.
About Avery Dennison
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science and manufacturing company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs approximately 30,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2017 were $6.6 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.