Top 10 Wines of 2018 Unveiled at WineSpectator.com
New York, NY (November 16, 2018)—Wine Spectator, the world’s leading authority on wine, today announced Tenuta San Guido Bolgheri-Sassicaia Sassicaia 2015 as the 2018 Wine of the Year. The Top 10 list is now available on top100.winespectator.com, with the full Top 100 list to be revealed on Monday, November 19.
Sassicaia, an iconic blue-chip wine, began as an experiment in the 1940s, a passion project that came to fruition thanks to good fortune and hard work from the wine’s creator Marchese Mario Incisa della Rocchetta. Trying to emulate Bordeaux on his estate near the Tuscan coast, his experimental red quickly became the prototype of the region, establishing itself as one of the great wines of Tuscany and Italy. While the Tenuta San Guido estate grows other crops, wine became the main focus in the 1970s and Sassicaia caught the attention of wine lovers worldwide. Now managed by Mario’s granddaughter Priscilla, representing the third generation, Sassicaia continues to thrive without ever losing its Old World character or Tuscan roots.
Following Tenuta San Guido Bolgheri-Sassicaia Sassicaia 2015 (97 score, $245, 17,200 cases made, Tuscany, Italy), Wine Spectator’s Top 10 Wines of 2018 are:
- Château Canon-La Gaffelière | St.-Emilion 2015 | 96 Score | $84 | 6,250 Cases Made | Bordeaux, France
- Castello di Volpaia | Chianti Classico Riserva 2015 | 96 Score | $35 | 2,500 Cases Imported | Tuscany, Italy
- La Rioja Alta | Rioja 890 Gran Reserva Selección Especial 2005 | 95 Score | $175 | 4,753 Cases Made | Rioja, Spain
- Moët & Chandon | Brut Champagne Dom Pérignon Legacy Edition 2008 | 96 Score | $180 | Champagne, France
- Aubert | Chardonnay Carneros Larry Hyde & Sons 2016 | 96 Score | $85 | 960 Cases Made | Carneros, California
- Colene Clemens | Pinot Noir Chehalem Mountains Dopp Creek 2015 | 95 Score | $26 | 3,023 Cases Made | Willamette Valley, Oregon
- La Vieux Donjon | Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2016 | 95 Score | $70 | 7,000 Cases Made | Southern Rhône, France
- Tenuta delle Terre Nere | Etna San Lorenzo 2016 | 95 Score | $60 | 750 Cases Made | Sicily, Italy
- Bedrock | The Bedrock Heritage Sonoma Valley 2016 | 95 Score | $45 | 600 Cases Made | Sonoma County, California
These bottles were selected from a pool of more than 15,000 wines reviewed by Wine Spectator editors in the magazine’s blind tastings. Selections are based on four criteria: quality (represented by score), value (reflected by price), availability (based on the number of cases either made or imported into the U.S.) and, most important, a compelling story behind the wine or what Wine Spectator calls the “X-factor.”
“The Top 100 recognizes the most compelling wines that our editors have reviewed over the past year,” said Thomas Matthews, Executive Editor, Wine Spectator. “The state of wine is as strong and exciting as ever. We were particularly impressed with the continuing diversity of the wine world—more than half the wines are making their first appearance on our Top 100 list. We’re thrilled to share the rising stars, outstanding values and benchmark bottles from both traditional and emerging regions.”
An annual highlight since 1988, the Top 100 list presents a diverse group, ranging from classic regions around the globe to up-and-coming stars. The list is a synopsis of the past year in wine and a guide to wineries to watch in the future—a reflection of the producers and wines that Wine Spectator’s editors are most excited about.
Additionally, online visitors have the chance to enter Wine Spectator’s Top 100 Sweepstakes, which offers the opportunity to win one bottle each of the Top 10 wines from the 2017 list.
The full Top 100 list will be featured at top100.winespectator.com and in print in the magazine’s December 31 issue, on newsstands beginning December 4.
About Wine Spectator
Wine Spectator is the world’s leading authority on wine. Anchored by Wine Spectator magazine, a print publication that reaches around 3 million readers worldwide, the brand also encompasses the Web’s most comprehensive wine site (WineSpectator.com), mobile platforms and a series of signature events. Wine Spectator examines the world of wine from the vineyard to the table, exploring wine’s role in contemporary culture and delivering expert reviews of more than 15,000 wines each year. Parent company M. Shanken Communications, Inc., also publishes Cigar Aficionado, Whisky Advocate, Market Watch, Shanken News Daily and Shanken’s Impact Newsletter.