39 Celebrities Compete in the Twelfth Annual Korbel Celebrity Spray-Off
July 16, 2018, Lake Tahoe, NV – Korbel California Champagne once again toasted the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship with its twelfth annual “Celebrity Spray-Off” held July 12, where Golden State Warriors NBA MVP Stephen Curry took home top honors and $5,000 from the Korbel Toast Life® Foundation for the Curry Family Foundation. After back-to-back NBA Championship wins, Curry has had a lot of practice popping corks and toasting life on and off the court.
As celebrities made their way to the 18th tee, Korbel challenged players to show off their best champagne-popping skills during the fan-favorite Celebrity Spray-Off as part of tournament festivities. Considered one of the NBA’s greatest shooters of all time, Curry stole the show after shooting a 63-foot soaring cork for the furthest distance of the day.
This year’s competition brought together 39 players, all vying for the winning title to benefit charity. Contending participants included Former NFL Pro Bowl Linebacker Brian Urlacher with a second-place distance of 59 feet, followed by MLB Hall of Famer Greg Maddux with a 56-foot cork, earning him third place in the competition. While participants are ultimately judged on cork distance, champagne-spray style added to the fun for participants and fans alike.
Although he was not crowned the winner, Former NBA Guard Dell Curry added to the excitement with a friendly father-son rivalry as he set the bar for Steph early in the competition. NBA All-Stars Kyle Lowry and Chris Webber demonstrated locker room style champagne shakes before taking their shot while NFL Pro Quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers and Jared Goff sent long-distance corks down the field. Popular entertainment icons including Actor Rob Riggle and Comedian Larry the Cable Guy won the crowd over with animated banter, showing fans that the competition is ultimately about individual style and celebrating for a good cause.
“As a long-time sponsor of the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship, we’re always thrilled to bring an additional element of excitement to players and fans with our signature events like the Korbel Celebrity Spray-Off” said Gary Heck, owner and president of Korbel Champagne Cellars. “Year over year, it’s great to see celebrities join in the fun – and most importantly, come together for a good cause.”
Football: Reggie Bush, Herm Edwards, Jared Goff, Robbie Gould , A.J. Hawk, Brian Kelly, Jim McMahon, Sean Payton, Doug Pederson, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Golden Tate, Adam Thielen, Brian Urlacher, Charles Woodson
Basketball: Stephen Curry, Dell Curry, Kyle Lowry, Chris Webber
Baseball: Roger Clemens, Johnny Damon, Eric Gagne, Tom Glavine, Derek Lowe, Greg Maddux, Bret Saberhagen, John Smoltz, Tim Wakefield, David Wells
Entertainment: Bret Baier, Larry the Cable Guy, Jay DeMarcus, Willie Robertson, Rob Riggle, Joe Don Rooney, Jack Wagner
Hockey: Joe Pavelski
Olympians: Mardy Fish, Bode Miller
Name / Description
- Bret Baier, FOX News Host and chief political anchor
- Reggie Bush, Former NFL All Pro RB
- Roger Clemens, Former MLB All Star Pitcher
- Dell Curry, Former NBA Shooting Guard
- Steph Curry, Golden State Warriors Two-Time NBA MVP
- Johnny Damon, Former MLB All Star OF
- Jay DeMarcus, Bassist Rascal Flatts
- Herm Edwards, Arizona State Football Head Coach
- Mardy Fish, Olympic Silver Medalist: Tennis
- Eric Gagne, Former MLB All Star Pitcher
- Tom Glavine, MLB Hall of Fame Pitcher
- Jared Goff, NFL Pro Bowl Quarterback: LA Rams
- Robbie Gould, NFL All-Pro Kicker: San Francisco 49ers
- AJ Hawk, Former NFL Pro Bowl LB
- Brian Kelly, Head Football Coach: Notre Dame
- Larry the Cable Guy, Actor/Comedian
- Derek Lowe, Former MLB All Star Pitcher
- Kyle Lowry, NBA All-Star PG: Toronto Raptors
- Greg Maddux, MLB Hall of Fame Pitcher
- Jim McMahon, Former NFL Quarterback
- Bode Miller, Former World Cup Alpine Ski Racer
- Joe Pavelski, San Jose Sharks Center
- Sean Payton, Head Coach: New Orleans Saints
- Doug Pederson, NFL Head Coach: Philadelphia Eagles
- Rob Riggle, Actor/Comedian
- Willie Robertson, CEO Duck Commander
- Aaron Rodgers, All Pro NFL QB: Green Bay Packers
- Joe Don Rooney, Lead Guitarist Rascal Flatts
- Bret Saberhagen, Former MLB All-Star Pitcher
- Alex Smith, NFL QB: Washington Red Skins
- John Smoltz, MLB Hall of Fame Pitcher
- Golden Tate, NFL Pro Bowl WR: Detroit Lions
- Adam Thielen, NFL Pro Bowl WR: Minnesota Vikings
- Brian Urlacher, NFL Hall of Fame LB
- Jack Wagner, Actor & Singer: General Hospital
- Tim Wakefield, Former MLB All-Star Pitcher
- Chris Webber, Former NBA All Star PF
- David Wells, Former MLB All Star Pitcher
- Charles Woodson, NFL Hall of Fame CB
About the American Century Golf Championship
The 29th annual American Century Championship, a made-for-TV event owned and broadcast by NBC Sports, NBCSN and Golf Channel, is the premier celebrity golf tournament, which also raises funds for local and national charities. The competition features a purse of $600,000. The tournament is a 54-hole modified Stableford format that features some of sports’ and entertainment’s greatest celebrities.
This tournament is often referred to as the Super Bowl of celebrity golf with more than 90 sports and entertainment luminaires. Celebrity participants include Charles Barkley, Stephen Curry, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Alfonso Ribeiro, Jerry Rice, Rob Riggle and Larry the Cable Guy among many others.
Established in 1882 in Sonoma County’s Russian River Valley, Korbel Champagne Cellars produces the United States’ most popular méthode champenoise champagne. But, the true measure of Korbel’s success during its 136 years can be seen in the impact it’s had on American consumers and its presence at various celebrations throughout the years. Owned and managed by the Heck family since 1954, Korbel currently makes eleven California champagnes and a limited amount of still wine. In a separate facility, Korbel also produces one of the country’s most respected brandies.