- Tre Bicchieri-awarded wines received the highest possible rating from a panel of 53 experts
- 45,000 wines are reviewed each year, with less than 1 percent achieving Tre Bicchieri
- Gambero Rosso’s Italian Wines 2018 is the 31st edition of the iconic book, widely considered the world’s premier guide to Italian wines
February 21, 2018; (LOS ANGELES)—Wine industry professionals are invited to taste the finest releases from the 31st edition of the world’s premier guide to Italian wines, with Gambero Rosso’s annual U.S. Tour, kicking off next week in Chicago. This year, Gambero Rosso brings its Tre Bicchieri tasting to four U.S. cities:
- Feb. 28 – Chicago Bridgeport Art Center, Skyline Loft
- Mar. 1 – New York City, Metropolitan Pavilion
- Mar. 6 – Los Angeles, Magic Box at The Reef
- Mar. 8 – San Francisco, Fort Mason Center
Wine trade and press are invited to see event and registration details at http://gamberorosso.us/; the events are for industry professionals only and require a business card to be presented at check in. A list of participating wineries in each city is noted, with nearly 200 Italian wineries joining the New York City event.
New this year, the company also introduces Gambero Rosso Academy, a series of intimate master classes that provide deeper regional knowledge. Classes are presented by Marco Sabellico, senior editor of the Vini d’Italia and Lorenzo Ruggeri, editor of Top Italian Restaurants. Participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the seminars, acknowledging their newly acquired expertise. Courses this year will focus on Barbera and Vini del Monferrato wines, Lambrusco and Sangiovese di Romagna, Custoza wines of the Veneto, and a Special Awards tasting, recognizing 10 top wineries in areas of distinction.
Seminar seats may be requested by emailing Chelsea Kurnick at [email protected].
Gambero Rosso also celebrates the launch of their English-language digital guide to Italian restaurants around the world. In each stop on the tour, Ruggeri will present awards honoring the best Italian restaurants in the city. “Top Italian Restaurants” is available at http://www.gamberorosso.it/restaurants/.
Italian wines currently account for 34 percent of wines sold in the U.S., with continuous growth. In the first nine months of 2017, Italian wine sales to the U.S. increased almost four percent in volume and three percent in value compared to the same period in 2016. Sparkling Italian wine sales have almost tripled in the last 10 years, according to Nomisma Wine Monitor.
About Vini d’Italia 2018
This year’s tour celebrates the release of Gambero Rosso’s 31st edition of their annual guide, Vini d’Italia. Produced today in Italian, English, German, Chinese and Japanese; Vini d’Italia is the definitive resource on the country’s wines and wineries. It is the result of a year of work by an expert team of 53 tasters who have travelled the country (including Switzerland’s Canton Ticino starting this year) visiting wineries, interviewing producers and tasting 45,000 wines. The book reviews 2,485 wineries and a total of 22,000 wines, noting wines of distinction with bicchieri (glasses). This year, just 436 Tre Bicchieri have emerged — fewer than 1 percent of the wines tasted. Vini d’Italia is not just a collection of scores and ratings; it is a fundamental and essential volume for all those who work in the sector or are interested in quality Italian wines. Available on Apple and Amazon:
Here are the special awards from Vini d’Italia 2018:
- Sparkling Wine of the Year – Marcalberto Extra Brut 2012
- White Wine of the Year – I Favati Fiano di Avellino Pietramara 2016
- Red Wine of the Year – Ar.Pe.Pe Valtellina Superiore Sassella Rocce Rosse Riserva 2007
- Sweet Wine of the Year – Caravaglio Malvasia delle Lipari Passito 2016
- Best Buy – Le Rocche Malatestiane
- Grapegrower of the year – Stefano Amerighi
- Solidarity Project Award – Montenidoli
- Up-and-Coming Winery – Spiriti Ebbri
- Award for Sustainable Viticulture – Ferrari
- Winery of the Year – Masi
About Gambero Rosso
Gambero Rosso® is Italy’s publishing and training leader in the field of wine and food. It is the only multimedia company in the sector that offers magazines, books, guides, a website, smart phone applications, and a television channel – Sky 412. Since 1987, Gambero Rosso has represented Italian-made food and wine, testing and certifying the quality of products, telling the stories behind the flavors and traditions of the Bel Paese. In Italy, Gambero Rosso offers Città del Gusto® training courses in five cities. Gambero Rosso has developed a rich, worldwide network of partnerships with prestigious culinary institutes to promote authentic Italian culinary traditions and products.